Thursday, October 8, 2009

Holistic Adventures: Green Drink

I made my green drink from parsley, spinach and cranberry juice mix (all juice, but not all cranberry).

fresh parsley (about 1 oz), containing

  • 1 g fiber
  • 47% RDA Vitamin A
  • 62% RDA Vitamin C
  • 10% RDA Iron
  • 4% RDA Calcium

fresh spinach (about 6 oz) containing

  • 4 g fiber
  • 220% RDA Vitamin A
  • 80% RDA Vitamin C
  • 30% RDA Iron
  • 16% RDA Calcium

Langer’s Cranberry Plus juice (1 cup) containing

  • 20% RDA Vitamin A
  • 100% RDA Vitamin C
  • 10% RDA Calcium

Everyone knows cranberry juice and spinach are good for you. Man, can you believe the nutritionals on fresh spinach? No wonder Popeye was so buff. But I was surprised what I learned about parsley. It is supposed to be anticarcinogenic (prevent cancer), purify the blood and stimulate the digestive system (which is why it became commonly used as a garnish!). Good on ya, parsley.

So, total in the final product:

  • 5 g fiber
  • 287% RDA Vitamin A
  • 142% RDA Vitamin C
  • 40% RDA Iron
  • 30% RDA Calcium

I bet with some yogurt in there, we could have topped the 50% mark on iron and calcium. Hm.

Blending it up made it very foamy, and you can really smell the parsley.

It tastes…very green. Sweet, and a little crunchy—that might mean I didn’t blend it enough, I’m not sure. Not bad, but I’ll be honest, it was crunchy enough I didn’t finish it. Maybe it’s an acquired taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment